An Erasmus-plus funded project for building the capacity of the higher education institutions in Jordan
Generally, science and technology are in an increasing and continuous development process. During the last decades, several technologies have been invented, others have been grown and others have been ignored. As a result, it is very important that higher education curriculum should be developed in order to encompass these rapidly evolving technologies. Electrical Engineering with its different branches (computer engineering, electrical energy engineering, electronics and telecommunications) is one of the fields that is continuously growing and expanding. Recent developments in electrical engineering include Renewable Energy (RE), Internet of Things (IoT) and Cyber Security (CS), which have recently witnessed a huge demand in the labor market.IREEDER is an Erasmus-plus funded project that aims at building the capacity of the higher education institutions in Jordan. IREEDER consortium includes ten partners; five Jordanian and five European partners, and led by Al-Hussein Bin Talal University (Jordan).The wider objective of the project is to ensure that Jordanian universities are placed in a position where they offer quality education compatible with European standards, and meet socio-economic needs of the emerging knowledge-based society by strengthening undergraduate teaching and enhancing learning outcomes in order to provide their Jordanian graduates with professional leadership skills that qualify them to meet market needs of the country. Specifically, the project aims at creating bachelor’s degree subjects with appropriate laboratories in RE, IoT and CS taught by universities in Jordan and brought into line with the EU requirements, as well as engaging faculty in the development of online lectures and laboratory.
IREEDER Aim and Objectives
The main objective of the IREEDER project is to improve the capacity of high education, using state of the art technology and training staff on improving the quality of the materials taught by making best use of these technologies. The developed subjects will be oriented towards the recent technologies in electrical engineering including RE, IoT and CS, in addition to their different applications. All these subjects will be in accordance with EU requirements.
Specific objectives are:
- Develop, integrate, accredit and evaluate subjects with appropriate laboratories' components in the fields of RE, IoT and CS taught by universities in Jordan and brought into line with the EU requirements. These subjects will be developed and taught in English language.
- Engage faculty members in the development of interactive instruction techniques for lectures, laboratory training, and sharing experiences with EU partner universities.
- Develop and implement subject content using Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) delivery and remote labs.
- Extend services and training in collaboration with the industry firms and local communities.
- Improve the human capacity of Jordanian universities by providing training and upgrading opportunities in the EU for aspiring young and women academic staff.
IREEDER project will offer several new advantages to the higher education in Jordan which can be summarized as follows:
- Modernizing the undergraduate curriculum of engineering students by introducing the recent technologies such as RE, IoT and CS.
- Improving the teaching methods in the Jordanian partners by exploiting the European experience in teaching for higher education.
- Building the capacity of the Jordanian partners by establishing new laboratories that are equipped with educational platforms to help students improve their understanding and skills in the fields of RE, IoT and CS.
- Enhancing the knowledge, teaching and training skills of the faculty members and technicians in Jordanian partners by enrolling them in training workshops in Europe.
- Providing the labor market in Jordan by skilled engineers with the recent technology advances.
- Creating the cooperation among Jordanian partners and EU partners, and among the Jordanian partners themselves during the lifetime of IREEDER and after the end of the project.
- Creating national training points in Jordan for the recent technological advances in RE, IoT and CS by holding the regular training workshops.
- Improving the project management skills of the Jordanian partners especially AHU.
For more information, please visit the IREEDER project website.